16 April 2008

A Conversation

Him: "So, you're back? What troubles you?"
Me: "It's not possible."
Him: silence
Me: "I mean, is it?"
Him: "What do you think?"
Me: "Well, I don't see why He would begin if not to finish...yet..."
Him: "So, the trouble."
Me: (words tumbling all over each other in my anxiety and haste to be comforted) "Yet how, I mean, I do not see that it will ever work?!" (pleading, imploring) "You must tell me! He is so... well...so...You know, and I, I, am so...not. But it just has to work! I must know. I must know. I could not bear to be separated for, for-ever. And yet, and yet, to be so close but never really there. I need Him. There must be a way. There must! But how..."
Him: the most compassionate of all silences, it seems He knows, but will not say, because I am not yet through.
Me: "Well, at least I know I'll never make it. You, now, that's a different story. You always could do what I couldn't. Do you think there might be a way?"
Him: "On your own, you're right. I know you. I love you. You just can't. I'm sorry." (and I see in His eyes that truly He is. truly sorry.)
Me: "Then what?" ( I barely dare to hope)
Him: "He must have a way."
Me: "Do you think!?" (How I trust Him! If He believes, so can I, right?)
Him: "He has spoken of it."
Me: "Well, yes, that's just it. You know, I don't understand. I just can't SEE what He means by it all. Is it really to work? Well, You know me. I won't make it. I can't. Not if it's my choice, don't you see." (almost under my breath, ashamed, I don't want to say it, but feel compelled by His realness, I must be completely truthful) "I'm too afraid."
Him: infinite tenderness
Me: "You will help?"
Him: "I believe that is His intent."
Me: "And you won't leave me alone, right? You'll be my Friend?"
Him: "I am your Friend."
Me: "Thank you.
Him: smile
Me: "So, I can follow you, right?"
Him: "You must."
Me: "I only want so much to go...to please Him. It sounds so Wonderful. So Fantastic. And so much to do! Almost, too good to be true. Oh, the Glory!"
Him: a nod, and, almost imperceptible, pity in His eye
Me: "I will be on your side, true?"
Him: "Of course. We are Friends. But know, I will never support you in opposition to Him."
Me: "No! I would not. I could not!"
Me: "Do you think I will ever understand? His Plan, I mean?"
Him: "Surely it will not be until after."
Me: "So I will be back again."
Him: smile "Just as surely."
Me: (very sorowful) "Do you think I will ever stop doubting?"
Him: "Doubting!? Darling one, you will ask until you understand, but that does not me you doubt. And I will always explain...again."
Me: "So it's okay?"
Him: "For now."
Me: "Then, please, tell me just once more...how is it to be? How is it to work?"

Him: "Come, it is time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home