23 September 2005

Temple day

I've been trying to go to the temple all week. I usually go every Thursday right after my last class, but I missed last week for several reasons that I won't go into, so I have been feeling a loss in my life and wanted to go earlier this week. Somehow, I just didn't ever do it. Then yesterday, a really important opportunity came up that couldn't be rescheduled, so I thought I would go today. Well, as I was sitting in my 2:00 class, I suddenly became violently ill. I rushed to the bathroom, and well, noone needs to know the details. Needless to say, I was seriously considering ditching the rest of my classes and going home to sleep. But there was this nagging thought in the back of my mind -- oh yea, I was planning to go to the temple this evening. I lied down on the grass outside for a while while contemplating which course of action to take. I started to feel better, so decided it would be okay for me to stick it out the rest of the day. Obviously, since I'm blogging and not in the middle of a nap, I made it through my class okay. Before heading to the temple, however, I felt like I ought to record some of my thoughts about temples and covenants as they have taken a prominent place on my mind's stage for the past few hours, and I don't want to forget them too soon.
I wrote the following between my classes on an online forum as a response to a question about temple attendance and recharging one's spirituality. I thought it was a brief stroke of inspiration (it certainly didn't come from my own brilliance) and felt that it was worthwhile to include here so that I can remember it: 'While going to the temple is a wonderful thing, and certainly we should go as often as possible, it isn't an end unto itself. Indeed, in the temple we make and renew sacred covenants that govern how we live our every-day lives. So essentially, think of the covenants you have made (this includes those made at baptism for those not endowed, and also for those who are). Now live every minute of your life in accordance with the promises you made. The Lord will respond, as He has promised, with an outpouring of His spirit and knowledge of His mysteries and kingdom. Hopefully this tied my thoughts together a little better. Whether now is the appropriate time for you to recieve the endowment or not is something that must be decided between yourself and the Lord, with the aid of your priesthood leaders. However, the important thing is to keep your life as closely inline with the sacred covenants you have made, and this is what will really help you draw upon the powers of the Atonement to renew your spirituality and make you like unto God.'
Recently (as in over the past two months or so), I think the topic of my thoughts has most often been covenants. In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we often refer to ourselves as "covenant-making people." It's true too; we make lots of covenants, and are encouraged to renew them regularly. Interesting, though, how often do I actually focus on keeping those sacred covenants. I go to the temple weekly, but for the other 166 hours of the week, do I dilligently strive to live in accordance with the covenants that I am remembering and aiding others in making when I visit the Lord's house. As I am not yet endowed, I still focus on the Baptisimal Covenant. Wow, this includes a lot: Take upon me the name of Christ, join his fold, share the burdens of others, mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of comfort, stand as a witness of God at all times and places, keep His commandments, and ALWAYS remember Him. It seems like a lot, but the blessings more than compensate. I mean, goodness, what could be greater than the constant companionship of the Spirit of God, an actual member fo the Godhead. It's actually pretty amazing when I think about it in this light. So rather than just attend the temple every week (a good thing), I should also work harder to bring my life in line the the Lord's will by actively keeping those sacred covenants. (And, as I have not yet received the endowment or been sealed to a spouse, preparing myself to make those future covenants)
This has definitely given me even more food for thought. How am I doing? Well, I'm definitely trying. I have faith that as I actively do my part, I will be able to draw upon the enabling powers of the Atonement to purify my heart and make me like God. That is such an exciting thought! I have so many more thoughts on covenants that I want to write down, and a few scriptures and quotes to share, but those will have to be another post as I don't have them with me right now, and I need to hurry to the temple. I've got some covenants to remember so I can more fully live them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home