04 October 2005

The Day Dawn is Breaking

Yeah! The flag is flying high atop the pole today! :)
What kind of man gets to see God the Father in the flesh? This has been the prevailing thought on my mind over the last few days. Joseph Smith, prophet, seer, and revelator -- who was he? This year, the Church is celebrating its 175th anniversary and the 200th anniversary of the birth of the prophet Joseph. He seemed to be a common theme of General Conference talks last weekend. So this is my resolve: I will learn about the man who, save Jesus Christ only, has done more for the salvation of all mankind. What a title! It's amazing that after twenty years of hearing this name, I am finally going to take the time to know the man, especially when one considers that it is the first lesson taught to individuals investigating the church, but I suppose now is better than never. I will keep everyone updated with what I am learning; I can't wait.

Which brings me to another related topic. This is perhaps the reason that I have not achieved a conviction of the role of the prophet Joseph before this time. Whatever happened to the Lord not being a respecter of persons? How do I reconcile study of the life of Joseph Smith when there is "no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent" (Mosiah 3:17)? Indeed, all men have agency; there is no job that the Lord cannot accomplish without me, or is there? Perhaps this undermines the deep belief some people have that they prayed about where to live, what to study, which classes to take, ad nauseam and they just know that they are in the "right" place. I scoff at these people; it's unkind and I shall try to be more tolerant, but these "testimonies" drive me nuts! I take a very pragmatic approach to life: get up every morning, pray and consecrate your performance unto the Lord, then go to life. Forget about your silly "right" place, "right” person etc. The number one commandment is to love God. Number two is to love your neighbor. Do that, and stop stressing! If you make a mistake, repent and strengthen your resolve to do better, then move on. The world will NOT come to an end just because I failed to accomplish some possible mission. I am not indispensable! So, back to the original point, is it idol worship of a sort to spend so much time praising just a man? I used to think so; then I listened to the prophet and learned differently.

What kind of man gets to see God the Father in the flesh? I don't know yet, but I intend to find out. It's about our choices, see. We decide every day if we will accomplish the Lord's work, but some of us made BIG choices before this life. Those choices don't force us to do anything, but we can allow them to dictate the course of our lives. This doesn't make very much sense, but I'm trying, believe me, I'm trying to both understand and explain it. So Joseph Smith made some seriously good choices (and is continuing to do so). Because of those choices he was able to restore to earth the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, ushering in the dispensation of the fullness of times. Studying his life and praising his name is not idolatry, everything about this prophet leads one to Christ. Yes, he was just a man, but he was anointed by God, and he "communed with Jehovah." Praise to that man!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home