07 December 2005

Oh How Lovely

Yesterday in my Teachings of the Living Prophets class, we began our discussion of President Hinckley by watching a clip from the movie Special Witnesses of Christ. President Hinckley chose to share his testimony from the Sacred Grove. I love trees. I have always been in awe of great forests and such. I just feel a sense of excitement and wonder and enthusiasm in the presence of such majestic giants. So the fact that he was in a grove amid trees of this sort, where all was green, flooded with sunlight, well, it was touching.

As I watched this great man walk slowly around the grove while bearing witness to the sacred nature of the activities that occured among those very trees, I was struck with how small he seemed. I admire President Hinckley very much. He is such a hero to me, oftentimes seeming larger than life; the fact that he seemed dwarfed there in that grove, therefore was an interesting observation for me. I was struck with the wonder of man, but more, the greatness of God. I felt to explain, as did Moses, "Now, for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed" (Moses 1:10). What a feeling! I can't think a better way to describe it, so I will leave it at that and hope that each will seek within werfself to find a way to understand this revelation. It is shocking, humbling, and encouraging all at the same time.

Just after this revelation came another, even more striking. Those trees were BIG; the area was wide and full of plants with many little areas off to the side; the man was so small. Yet the sunlight filled the grove, casting away shadows and brightening the entire area. What a visual it was for me! As small as man is, God is SO great. His almighty power is awesome (read awe-some), and He has shared it with us, His children. On that beautiful spring day in 1820 the Father of us all revealed Himself, along with His Son, Jehovah, to the boy Joseph Smith. He brought with Him Light that would fill the whole earth, casting out shadows wherever His truth is received. What a blessing, what a miracle!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chicken Dust said...

P.S. Cowdust, I'm on page 51, but I'll be hurrying!

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home