18 June 2008

Apology

I realize that my previous apology was far too business-like. Perhaps I should be more frank. Anonymous, your comment stung. I spent far too long trying not to cry, and then a fair amount of time giving in to the urge. I got on my knees, and I talked with the Lord about it. I think it hurt so much because you are right. The truth of your statement stands; a little humility really does go a long way. And whether you meant to imply it or not, the fact remains that I could really use a LOT of humility. I am sorry. I am sorry for my arrogance in my zeal. I truly am sorry.

I did a little studying tonight about humility. Heavenly Father told me that He loves me, despite my flaws, and He nudged me gently to take a lesson from the way this truth cut me to the core. So I read a few talks and studied some scriptures. I've got a long way to go. This by John Ruskin touched me: 

"The first test of a truly great man is his humility ... I do not mean, by humility, doubt of his own power ... [But really] great men have a curious ... feeling that ... greatness is not IN them, but THROUGH them ... And they see something Divine ... in every other man ..., and are endlessly, foolishly, incredibly merciful" (quoted by Elder Marlin K Jensen in May 2001 General Conference).

So my goal is to see more in others. To obliterate pride in my heart by ignoring the urge to compete with others. To think less of myself, to think more of God, and to love all around me as He loves them. That kind of love is not easy for me, but I know I need to learn it. Thank you, Anonymous for reminding me of my need for constant repentance. Thank you, Father for allowing me the opportunity to receive mercy. Thank you, my Savior for making this change possible through Thy grace. How marvelous a gift is repentance!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Paradox said...

By "missionary magic" I meant that you are still a great missionary. :)

8:15 AM  
Blogger breanne said...

Dear Chicken Dust, I was not the anonymous that posted that comment. I do like humility, though. But I just have to say, I didn't see any pride in your previous post. I liked what you said. It made me feel happy. And I think you are cool. (Do you feel better now, that I think you are cool? :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Chicken Dust said...

OF COURSE!

P.S. Do I know you...your face looks really familiar.

3:01 PM  
Blogger T said...

Chicken Dust,
I think you are amazing and wonderful and I saw nothing in your last post that seemed proud or anything even close. I don't know who posted that comment, but I hope they realize that it was a ridiculous thing to say.
You're lovely.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Audrey Michal said...

I agree with all of the above.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Chicken Dust said...

Thanks, friends, for sticking up for me. :)

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home