27 January 2006

SSP

I work in financial services, not financial aid, just for clarification. Everybody gets the two confused, and while I get tired of explaining the difference, I can understand their misunderstanding. We really like to make things difficult in the administration. Anyhow, because they confuse us, I've learned a lot about financial aid over the years. One thing I do know is about SAP. That's Satisfactory Academic Progress. You have to pass at least 70% of you classes each semester to qualify for federal aid; if you fail or drop too many classes, no money for you.

I said something at work the other day; it was just a passing comment to one of my coworkers, but the fact that it slipped from my lips so easily and naturally bothers me even more. I've felt really bad about it, and it's made me re-evaluate my attitudes about a lot of things. Sometimes I feel like I'm struggling with SSP (that's Satisfactory Spiritual Progress (see, the first paragraph does sort of apply)) or my lack thereof. I don't believe the Lord holds up some sort of "Celestial measuring-stick" to see if we "qualify" for heavenly aid, but I feel like he probably requires some sort of satisfactory change in our lives. That's what true repentance is - a permanent change of heart. So if I'm not really changing my attitude, I can go through all the motions perfectly, but it doesn't matter.

See, in financial aid, you can keep your money just for going to class. If you fail one semester, they may not give you more money for the next term, but if you prove you attended classes and took the final, you get to keep the money they already gave you (as opposed to charging you back if you don't attend). But the Lord's measures are of course different. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord." He requires more. In order to meet SSP, we have to let go of past transgressions, change our hearts, purify our thoughts, keep His commandments, and then rely on His grace to make us clean. There is no 'good enough'; "no unclean thing can dwell with God." I shouldn't really call it Satisfactory spiritual progress.

Mosiah commanded men to "[yield] to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and [put] off the natural man and [become] a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord." Perhaps I need to step back and rededicate myself to this task. I'm going along, seeing that I have been improving, changing, and indeed I have. On a 70% pass rule, I may not be perfect, but perhaps I have achieved SSP. But that's not good enough. SSP isn't what I want; it's not how I measure my life. It's time I refocused myself to putting of my natural doubts and fears and start trusting a little more in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Through Him, through His infinite atoning sacrifice, I become a saint.

And really, with the prospects of Eternal Life ahead of me, the enticings of SSP pale in comparison. Exaltation is my aim, and it is just going to require a little more effort, a little more dedication, and a lot more faith and trust.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aloha chickendust! hows it goin?? i am spectacular! you comming to my game tomorrow? what did you say to your co-worker? i wanna know! and sometime, write an entry just for me! i dont understand all this stuff that you write! well, luvs!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home