22 June 2008

"He is the God of Light"

I was moved on Thursday by these words: "And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night ... And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth" (Genesis 1:16-17). It struck me that God did not create the darkness for the night. As John so beautifully states, "God is light, and in him is no darkness at all" (1 John 1:5). God is LIGHT, and only light. He made the light to rule over day and to rule over night. Sometimes it seems to me that the darkness of night is overpowering. I find it easy to lose hope in times of comparative darkness. As night is comparatively dark to day, so too are some days of my life comparatively dark to other days.

Yet God did not create the light for the day and leave the night to be darkness. Light always rules. Though I may choose to hide my face and close my eyes and by so doing be swallowed up by the darkness, the Light is always there -- always will be there. The question then begs to be asked: Does the light rule in my life? In the over-arching scheme of eternity, Light rules supreme. In my personal life, does the Light rule supreme? I believe it does (more on this to come). This gives me hope. And JOY.

"And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all ... But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin" (1 John 1:4-5,7).

1 Comments:

Blogger The Paradox said...

Guess what? Light really does rule all. In physics we learned that nothing can travel faster than light! The speed of light is like a speed limit for matter! I'm completely fascinated by it, and I suspect my senior thesis is going to deal with optics...but I love this post. Thank you.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home